-->

Friday 9 May 2014

Choosing a Degree and a University

Just when you thought juggling your A-Level revision wasn't enough you then realise you've got to decide which course you want to do at which university. I decided you share with you a step by step guide to help you narrow down your choices.

1. Make a list of the courses you'd like to study at university
Start off you list by adding things in that you enjoy doing as then you'll be more likely do to well as you're studying something that you like. My three courses that I looked into was Business, Psychology and English Language. English Language and Linguistics was actually the last one I looked into, and it was the one that I ended up doing. So, make sure you don't rush this process as it's the most important.

2. Start looking at what universities do your chosen course
As I said previously, don't rush step 1 because choosing the right course for you is the vital part in this process. Once you've chosen a course, go onto the UCAS website and you can search universities by course. This saves so much time as it tells you what universities offer your course so you don't have to find out for yourself.

3. Things to keep in mind when choosing a university 
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a university. First of all, the distance from home. At first, I was determined that I wanted to go to a university far down south, I live in the north, and so this was a long distance from home. However, I had to take into consideration train prices home (which were ridiculously expensive) and train prices to see my boyfriend. After looking into this, I realised that being that far away from home wasn't the best idea for me because it would limit the amount of times during term time that I'd be able to see my family, friends at universities in the north and my boyfriend. 

The second thing to keep in mind is what grades the university is asking for and are they achievable?

4. Narrow your choice down to 5 
Once you've chosen a handful of universities, you need to narrow it down to the five that you are going to be applying to.

5. Personal Statement and UCAS Send Off
Now that you've chosen your course and 5 universities it's time to write your personal statement, this won't be covered in this blog post but I might write one dedicated to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment